Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:37:51 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Jon Cast wrote:
> > I doubt the /ongoing development/ of Texinfo impacts as many
> > people as the /ongoing development/ of Emacs.

> ??? The latest 4.x series of Texinfo introduce support for HTML,
> XML, and DocBook format.  That's a revolution for such a small
> package, both feature-wise and as far as the code changes are
> considered.  Consider just the impact of the HTML split-node output
> on the large body of pages which feature Web-based docs of Free
> Software.

OK, I (obviously) didn't know about the output format additions.  I
retract my statements about Texinfo.  Sorry if I offended you.

However, reading the Texinfo NEWS file has produced another idea why
it doesn't get as many complaints: 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 all have NEWS
entries beginning `new ...'.  That leads me to suspect Texinfo doesn't
have bug-fix releases, which was what my complaint about Emacs
centered around.  I don't have any complaints about Emacs's methods
for CVS or pretest version numbers, so I had mentally filtered them
out of consideration for the discussion.  Perhaps I was wrong about
that, too.

Jon Cast