Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: Mac OS X Installer Package Script
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:03:35 -0600

> [...]
>
> I don't think it should run configure/make install.  That is best done the
> "normal" way.  This script does not allow any arguments to configure or make,
> or indeed, choice of make program to run.  Some of us have shell scripts
> to run configure in a special way, that can't be done either with
> this script.

Hi Jan,

It's useful to have a script like mac/make-package to generate a
Installer package for use as a `binary distribution'.  The ability to
pass options to configure and make can be added.  Most of the time,
I'll still be using `normal' way of configure and make.

> It seems a bit much to have to build an installer and then run that just
> to install Emacs.  I would prefer to have an option to configure where
> to install the application (/Application by default is fine), and then
> "make install" installs everything.  A script to build an installer is cool,
> but I would not like for it to be mandatory.
>
> Oh, another thing, "make install" should not install an emacs executable
> in $prefix/bin, since that executable can't be run without crashing.

I agree, these need to be fixed.  I'll look at them when I can.  Don't
worry.  I don't intend to make the use of Installer mandatory.

> Just my thoughts,
>
>       Jan D.

Andrew.