Re: file extensions for gettext/msgfmt

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: file extensions for gettext/msgfmt
Date: 08 Jul 2002 18:10:24 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > These files are binary files.
>
> IMHO, being binary files is not a reason good enough to be added to that
> list.

It's sometimes desirable to edit binary files, but it's certainly
annoying to have them interfere with completion.  I think it's a
judgement call that should be made by someone experienced with that sort
of file (who that is, I don't know).

> > You don't want to edit them
>
> That's for the user to decide; there's "M-x hexl-find-file".

But emacs ought to provide good defaults.

`hexl-find-file' is a special case, and probably ought to override
completion-ignored-extensions if it can, because it's typically used for
editing files you normally don't want to edit.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.