Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el
Date: 08 Jul 2002 10:28:09 +0900

>       1) Sometimes (such as in my Calc example) you want the
>        minibuffer to use the same modified default face as the buffer,
>        but only in that frame.
>
> Do we always want this?  Should the minibuffer use the face definitions
> of the main buffer?

What's `the main buffer'?  In my example, that's clear to _me_, but I'm
not sure there's any way emacs could figure it out, unless told
explicitly.

If you meant that the minibuffer, when activated, would use face
definitions from the current buffer, I think that's probably a bad idea:
(1) it would mean that the size of the empty minibuffer window might be
different than that of an active minibuffer (causing annoying jumping),
and (2) the default face might change depending on the current buffer,
and I think people generally think of the minibuffer as being attached
global (part of the frame), so that would seem like very odd behavior.

But I think my Calc examples is somewhat atypical.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?