Re: Should lisp/Makefile.in custom-deps be using EMACS or emacs?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Should lisp/Makefile.in custom-deps be using EMACS or emacs?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:23:53 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any other way to solve your particular problem?  Some non-Unix
> platforms have problems with using $(emacs), so from my perspective it's
> best to leave $(EMACS) $(EMACSOPT) wherever possible.

Sure.  There are several ways I can work around this.  I had just
presumed that the build process would prefer the source tree versions
of the .el files, and so was surprised when my changes to
./lisp/custom-deps.el didn't have any (immediate) effect.

You might want to make a mention of this in the INSTALL docs though.
If I understand correctly, it means that anyone packaging (or
building) emacs who wants to make sure they don't build using stale
source might need to remove a previous copy of emacs from their system
before building.  Of course this would only be an issue for the
relevant files, like custom-deps.el, but an important change there
wouldn't have an effect until the build *after* the next install.

In any case, thanks for the help, and I'll just work around it
locally.  Could I just use $(emacs) in preference to $(EMACS) in that
Makefile.in for the debian packages?  We don't have any non-Unix-ish
platforms.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu