Re: What happened to the key-menu patch?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What happened to the key-menu patch?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:51:21 -0600 (MDT)

    I guess we should add a `map-keymap' for xemacs compatibility; I'm not
    sure if it's worth it to add a `dobindings' macro or not.

Ok, let's make it map-keymap.

     (1) The xemacs manual doesn't seem to explain very well what `a
         key-description list' is, but it's something like (meta control x).

In Emacs this should be an event type.

     (2) How are menu entries handled with this?  I'm not sure whether xemacs
         even stores menus in keymaps or not (it's somewhat hard to tell,
         since keyaps are an opaque type in xemacs, and just calling
         map-keymap doesn't yield anything obvious).

In XEmacs, menus are completely separate from keymaps.  (I think that
is a serious design error.)

We can handle menu items just like all other keymap entries.  Each
menu item is installed as the definition of some event type.
Following the usual specificiations, it should pass the the event type
as the first argument and the whole key binding value as the second
argument.  Everything should just work, if you write the function
properly.  It may not be necessary to do anything special for menu
bindings, or perhaps it is necessary to strip off the cached shortcut
info.

map-keymap should have an optional argument saying to ignore menu
bindings.

I think map-keymap should have another optional argument which
controls whether to scan the parent keymaps.  Let's choose the default
for this for compatibility with XEmacs, and make a non-nil argument
specify the other choice.