Re: What to do with too-large group ids?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: What to do with too-large group ids?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:12:28 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Tramp does "ls -l" on the remote host to snarf all the info that's
> needed for file-attributes.  But what do I do if the user id or group
> id printed is too large for an Emacs integer?

The file-attributes documentation doesn't say that uid/gid can be cons
pairs when uid/gid is higher than the integer limit, is that a bug?

But I guess it would be possible to write a parser for big integers to
split it into a cons pairs, which probably is what file-attributes
returns if uid/gid is too large.  Perhaps there already is someone in
emacs?