Re: Small Perl job for Tramp: base64 encoding/decoding

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Small Perl job for Tramp: base64 encoding/decoding
Date: 29 Jul 2002 10:54:03 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Steve Kemp <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sorry to be less clear - I was suggesting that you study the code
> > there as it is very small and should be straightforward to
> > understand.
>
> Unless the authors have signed papers, I'm not allowed to study the
> code, I think.

I'm not sure, but since it is sample code included with the Perl
distribution, (location is: /usr/share/doc/perl/examples/uudecode), I
would assume that the code is to be viewed as _documentation_, and
that you are allowed to _read_ the code for to learn how to
uuen/decode in perl.

In any case, the magic part is _probably_ (I haven't looked at the
code either) perl's built-in pack and unpack commands with "u"
(uuencode) option.  Check the perlfunc man-page for details.