RE: *Occur in buf*?

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: *Occur in buf*?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:52:01 +0100

> Alternatively, always name the buffer *Occur*, but provide a
> occur-save-buffer
> command (bound to `s') which renames the buffer to *Occur:
> buffer*; then the
> user can easily save precious occur buffers on a needed basis.
>
> The same could be done for *Help* buffers where it would
> sometimes be very
> useful to keep multiple help buffer around, e.g. *Help:
> save-buffer* and
> *Help: bury-buffer*.

Perhaps that's the best solution, since as you point out we can use it
in other Emacs-generated buffers.  I would find it useful for *VC-log*
buffers when checking in different files at the same time.  Or maybe
vc.el should always use the file buffer name in the temporary log buffer
name.

Perhaps there should be a command similar to rename-uniquely that runs
some function to generate a new name.  Different major modes could set
this function to do the appropriate thing, e.g., M-x occur to use the
original buffer's name; M-x describe-variable to use the variable's
name; etc.

The other suggestions:
Using defadvice (on a function I have to find in replace.el) is not easy
or intuitive.  (Richard, was this what you meant by "customization"?)
Using clone-buffer or rename-uniquely is not what I want---it will
increase the amount of clutter and will not make it easy to find the
buffer in the buffer list.