Re: Does a larger gc-cons-threshold mean a faster Emacs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Does a larger gc-cons-threshold mean a faster Emacs?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:30:08 -0600 (MDT)

    > Not exactly: it also makes each GC significantly slower (in my
experience).

Part of GC spends time on garbage, but most of GC spends its time only
on live data.  So the time should be determined more by the amount of
live data than by the amount of garbage, unless there is lots and lots
of garbage.  Until the gc-cons-threshold becomes a few times the total
amount of live data, I'd expect increases in it not to cause any
slowdown.

Perhaps gc-cons-threshold should be a float which expresses a fraction
of the total amount of live data as of the last GC.