Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: `buffer-list' and the frame-parameter `buffer-predicate'
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:33:09 +0200

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps you need to find the variable for ido or iswitch-buffer that
> filters the buffers, and make it frame-local.  Then switching buffers
> will offer different buffers based what frame you are on, without
> interfering with low-level stuff.
[...]

Yes, thank you. I will do something along these lines, if I can not
convince you all, that this is a) a useful feature and that it is b)
useful enough to justify a change in Emacs. Personally I wouldn't even
mind to redefine the critical function of my most beloved
switch-function, if necessary. I guess my main point is, that I think
this is useful as a generalized feature, regardless of the SFDJ
(Switch Function Du Jour) that someone might use.

In fact the history how I came to this idea is as follows: I have
usually six frames: one for Gnus, one for emacs-wiki-mode, one for
eshell and the shell-mode and three for everything else. I simply
maintained those "dedications" for months by refraining to switch to a
buffer of another type, as Richard Stallmann suggested. I found it
always a bit annoying, that I had to stay alert to avoid messing this
setting up. So I decided lately to hack something in my .emacs. While
I was looking up in ido.el, how to do this in the best way, it
occurred to me that something like this as an optional addition might
be an improvement to the user interface of Emacs in general. So
thought a bit about the possibilities this might offer and then I
decided to write a package. I intended to publish it on
gnu.emacs.sources. But in the middle of the work I discovered that my
approach is doomed to fail without a change to Emacs. A quick survey
on gnu.emacs.help revealed nothing better and so -- well -- here I am.

    -- Oliver

--
30 Thermidor an 210 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!