Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:01:04 -0500 (CDT)

Two more remarks on comint.el.  They are not directly related to the
changes proposed in my previous message, but I noticed them while
making those changes.

First remark:

Old version, lines 1509-1511:

          ;; This used to call comint-output-filter-functions,
          ;; but that scrolled the buffer in undesirable ways.
          (run-hook-with-args 'comint-output-filter-functions "")))))

New version:

          ;; This used to call comint-output-filter-functions,
          ;; but that scrolled the buffer in undesirable ways.
+         (unless no-carriage-motion (comint-carriage-motion ""))
          (run-hook-with-args 'comint-output-filter-functions "")))))

This seems cryptic and confusing:

"This USED to call comint-output-filter-functions":

I do not understand, it clearly still does.

Second remark:

While byte-compiling the compiler got upset over both comint.el and
ielm.el's use of directory-sep-char:

^L
Compiling file /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/comint.el at Sat
Aug 17 21:47:39 2002

/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/comint.el:742:29:
Warning: directory-sep-char is an obsolete variable since 21.1; do not
use it.

In comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename:
Warning: directory-sep-char is an obsolete variable since 21.1; do not
use it.

^L
Compiling file /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/ielm.el at Sat Aug

In inferior-emacs-lisp-mode:
Warning: directory-sep-char is an obsolete variable since 21.1; do not
use it.

>From the NEWS:

** The variable `directory-sep-char' is slated for removal.
Not really a change (yet), but a projected one that you should be
aware of: The variable `directory-sep-char' is deprecated, and should
not be used.  It was always ignored on GNU/Linux and Unix systems and
on MS-DOS, but the MS-Windows port tried to support it by adapting the
behavior of certain primitives to the value of this variable.  It
turned out that such support cannot be reliable, so it was decided to
remove this variable in the near future.  Lisp programs are well
advised not to set it to anything but '/', because any different value
will not have any effect when support for this variable is removed.

It is clear that all of this is only relevant to MS-Windows.  I do not
use MS-Windows and have very limited experience with it.  Hence I do
not know how relevant the above is and whether the references to this
variable should be removed as the compiler seems to wish.

Sincerely,

Luc.