Re: customize-mark-as-set for M-x foo-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: customize-mark-as-set for M-x foo-mode
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:12:21 -0600 (MDT)

    I see that all the minor-mode-like things in the menu-bar
    do (customize-mark-as-set 'foo).  I also saw Per's comment
    that this should only be done when the command is executed
    interactively.

    Is there any reason why it's only executed when run from the
    menu-bar rather than from M-x ?

It might be the right thing to do, and I was thinking about it,
but it calls for a lot of thought.

For one thing, there are only a few modes you can control with the
menu bar, but there are dozens, maybe hundreds, you can control
with commands.  Should all of them update your .emacs file?
Maybe they should, but that is a lot of change.

Users have written plenty of such minor mode commands.
Should they all update .emacs too?  I hesitate to think so.

Maybe it would be better if none of these commands updated .emacs
itself, and instead there were another command in the Options menu to
save the options that you can (or that you have) set with the Options
menu.