Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp and Guile
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:12:45 -0600 (MDT)

    Hmm, I think that maybe Scheme people will prefer to explicitely
    declare that a variable is buffer local at the point of its
    definition.

That would be completely unusable for Emacs, so there is no point
considering it.

    In any case, we can reverse the logic and say that variables need to
    be specially constructed when the user does not want them to be used
    "specially" (i.e., buffer-locally, etc).

This would also be completely impractical in use.

People will load various Scheme and Lisp programs in any order.  All
the orders have to work.  Various programs will use the same variable
names in different ways.  That too has to work.

Please dismiss the idea of declaring different types of variables or
having different implementations for various things that correspond to
Emacs Lisp variables now.  They would all be hard to use.  Please
let's not spend more time discussing proposals that start with
two strikes against them.