Re: comint read-only prompt

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: comint read-only prompt
Date: 20 Aug 2002 18:32:21 -0700

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 17:23, Noah Friedman wrote:
> I fail to understand why you want to mess with read-only properties in
> comint buffers at all, especially with regard to the prompt.

There are two types of people in the world:  ones who use C-a C-k when
they change their mind at a prompt, and ones who wail on the Delete
key.  I'm usually one of the former, and did in fact bind C-a to
comint-bol.  However, I've had many users complain that they can delete
right over the prompt and into the previous line, when they delete with
abandon.  For small (few character) deletes, I'd probably prefer the
delete-with-abandon method myself, but I've trained myself not to use
it.  Anyway, it's a small but noticeable usability deficiency on the
command line compared to a traditional terminal.

JD