Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:29:07 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Now that the mode-line-position information has been moved
> from the end of the mode line, and vc-mode is moved there too,
> the space between the buffer name and the mode-line-modes
> has become pretty crowded.

> Now, if you enable display-time and display-battery,
> which adds time and battery status, e.g. 15:57 [95%],
> to that part of the mode line as well, it's a total mess.

I'd like to display such global information not in the mode
line but, for instance, at the right end of menu bar, or
tool bar if they exist.  Such an area can also be used for
displaying:
        o multibyte or unibyte session
        o current language environment
But, I don't know how it is difficult.

By the way, I'm recently using this code to make Emacs
use frame title for displaying time-string.

(add-hook
 'display-time-mode-hook
 #'(lambda ()
     (setq global-mode-string
           (delete 'display-time-string global-mode-string))))

(add-hook
 'display-time-hook
 #'(lambda ()
     (modify-frame-parameters