Re: init_iterator takes window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: init_iterator takes window
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:12:37 -0400

>    appearance can also change between two windows even
>    in the same frame.
>
> so there is a semantic gap between current `current-column' and one that
> would take into account variable-width fonts, implying `current-column'
> callers need to bifurcate their usage to call some "window-current-column"
> if they care about variable-width fonts, and `current-column' otherwise.

The problem is not specific to variable-width fonts.
Even in Emacs-20 the `current-column' depends on the window
because of window-specific overlays that might make some part
of the buffer invisible in one window but not in another.

And the problem is not only with `current-column' but also
with how we use the result.  If we then use it to align to
pieces of text, they might be aligned in one window but not
in another.

        Stefan

PS: I don't see why `current-column' needs an extra `window' argument.
    What's wrong with using the currently selected window ?