correct way to do state machines in elisp?

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: correct way to do state machines in elisp?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:35:21 -0700

I have written a bot in C; source here:

As I was writing it, I couldn't help thinking, there must be a way to
write the same thing in LISP, with 1/3 the lines of code.  The largest
guzzler of lines of code I think is the state machine that parses every
RFC compliant IRC message into a suitable structure.

Can anyone give me hints about how the same thing could be done better
in elisp?  I'm reluctant to use regular expressions for this.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2