Re: regex and case-fold-search problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: regex and case-fold-search problem
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:39:58 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:51:46 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> > Does that happen because under case-fold-search non-nil the
> > characters on the range specification are downcased?
>
> Yes.

Then perhaps, instead of downcasing the range, we should do the
comparison in a case-insensitive manner?  Or is that impossible with
the current regex code?

> I mean that the concept of character range itself is not
> good.

As Miles wrote, it does make a perfect sense in a context of a
specific language.  For example, if the characters that designate the
range are all Cyrillic characters, the range is sensible.

It would IMHO be a pity to lose the ability to specify ranges in such
cases.