Re: IRC client for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: IRC client for Emacs
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:27:23 -0600 (MDT)

    An MO file has its own internal hash table which is used to relate an
    original string to the file position.  However, the hashing algorithm is
    dependent on gettext internals (See "(gettext)MO Files" for details).

This suggests another approach: keep the MO file as text in a buffer,
and write Lisp code to do the lookup using the MO file hash table.
The function to do a lookup could recreate the buffer (reading the
file into it) if the buffer does not exist.  This way, we could delete
these buffers occasionally (such as, when they have not been
used for 10 minutes), and they would be recreated when needed.
The buffer would serve as a cache for the file.

What do you think?

One interesting consequence of this approach is that we could delete
that buffer