Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:16:05 -0400

Somebody>     [ediff's user interface seems generally pretty bad; I like the
Somebody>     functionality, but never use it because it drives me nuts every
time I
Somebody>     try]

RMS> I feel the same--I tried it once and got too confused.
RMS>
RMS> I don't know whether fixing this would require major changes
RMS> or perhaps just fixing a few details.

Kim Storm> I'd suggest giving it another try.  The GUI is a little akward to get
Kim Storm> used to, but ediff is really too good to reject simply because of
that.

Miles Bader> So the best solution would be the same functionality with a better
UI.

I am open to suggestions, but I don't have much time to make major changes.
Couple of times (the above is perhaps the third) I received general
complaints about how bad ediff UI is (in almost exactly the same words as
above with no useful info attached), but when I asked to be more specific the
complainers did not bother to reply.

        --michael

PS. On the other hand, I receive tons of email attesting to the contrary.

PPS. I am also not averse to the idea that somebody takes over the maintenance
of
     ediff.