Re: Several serious problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:32:27 -0400

> I noticed those `fixme's.   Yes, it is better to solve all
> of them, but, for the moment, I want to concentrate on
> fixing the problem of RC.

I think the only "problem" in RC is that latin-N chars cannot
be saved to utf-8.

> >>  I've thought that the current codes were
> >>  the same one as what Dave had, but the above statement of
> >>  Dave's tells that it's not.
>
> > Well, now I check, utf-8.el in the RC branch seems to be as I left it,
> > which is what rms (I think) told me to do.  As far as I can tell, its
> > safe-charsets property is correct,
>
> The safe-charsets property of utf-8 in RC is this:
>
> ascii eight-bit-control eight-bit-graphic latin-iso8859-1
> mule-unicode-0100-24ff mule-unicode-2500-33ff
> mule-unicode-e000-ffff ethiopic tibetan thai-tis620
> katakana-jisx0201 ipa chinese-sisheng lao
> vietnamese-viscii-lower vietnamese-viscii-upper
>
> It doesn't contain latin-iso8859-[23...].

And it's correct as long as ucs-tables is not loaded.
And since RC is "only bug-fixes" it's important that we don't make
any change outside of ucs-tables.el except for bug-fixes, so
we can't just change the safe-charsets property.  I.e.
we have to either accept the current situation or else
change the safe-charsets property of utf-8 from ucs-tables.el.
Unless RMS accepts to make changes to utf-8.el which are not
bug-fixes but improvements to the utf-8 support.

On the trunk it's easier since we just changed the safe-charsets
property directly in utf-8.el and made sure that ucs-tables.el
is loaded when necessary.

        Stefan