Re: Several serious problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:36:35 -0400

> > I think the only "problem" in RC is that latin-N chars cannot
> > be saved to utf-8.
>
> In that case, I wasted considerable time...  I know, for instance,
> that people whinge that keyboard input doesn't conform to the buffer
> file coding system, and that other coding systems &c are needed --
> windows-1252 probably most importantly.

By "in RC" I meant "in RC as it currently stands", not "in RC before you
installed ucs-tables.el".  As you know, I'm a big fan of ucs-tables.el.
Please don't try and find offense where there isn't, it makes me rather sad.

> > > It doesn't contain latin-iso8859-[23...].
> >
> > And it's correct as long as ucs-tables is not loaded.
>
> What handa showed isn't correct.  The utf-8 coding system on the RC
> branch doesn't encode lao, for instance.

I was referring to what's in the utf-8.el file.

> > And since RC is "only bug-fixes"
> For some value of `bug fix'...

Obviously.

> > it's important that we don't make
> > any change outside of ucs-tables.el except for bug-fixes, so
> > we can't just change the safe-charsets property.
>
> I don't understand.  Of course you can't just change safe-charsets --
> it has to reflect what the coding system actually encodes.

IIRC, on the trunk you changed utf-8.el directly and simply enforced
that ucs-tables.el be loaded when necessary.

        Stefan