Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties
Date: 04 Sep 2002 10:11:10 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> I still think that my proposal for a yank-function text property (set
> on the original table text, and used by yank and yank-rectangle to do
> the yank) would do be a simple, yet powerful approach, as it would use
> automatically copy that property to the kill-ring, so there is nothing
> we need to add to basic functionality to achieve this.

It would be great if this could be used to make the whole rectangle
system less wierd.  E.g., cut onto the normal kill-ring, and use a
`yank-function' property to properly deal with yanking them.

It would be nice to have a special `rectangle-mode' which would make
_all_ the normal kill/copy commands such as C-w and M-w deal in
`rectangles' (and use a highlighting hack to make an active region
really look like a rectangle).  Maybe it could be a temporary mode
activated when you gave a special `set-rectangle-mark' command.

[I guess CUA mode already has something like this, but it'd be nice to
have it for everyone.]

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.