Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:29:30 +0000 (UTC)

   I know that originally (in the days of the original emacs) there
   actually were info files, but texinfo hadn't been invented yet; how did
   people write info files then (by hand?!)?

Yes, by hand.  It took a great deal of effort to persuade people to
write Texinfo files.

Just as there are still people who think primarily in hardcopy printed
material (and who use a ghastly markup language such as PDF), there
are others who think primarily in online help methods.

The latter forget that online help should sometimes be read in hard
copy.  Similarly, the former forget that at times the contents of a
hard copy document should be read on line.

Many people have not yet come to understand that the change in
technology over the past half century has led to a change in how to
publish.  I suspect this is similar to the resistance to printing in
the half century after Gutenberg invented the use of moveable type.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com