Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 06 Sep 2002 10:16:35 +0900

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
> > Generally I feel like taking the pragmatic approach:  Let us use the
> > solution that fits 80% of the problems.  This will give us users, and
> > these will in turn contribute to hopefully fix the remaining problems.
>
> Since two keymaps 100% solution is not an option, I believe we should
> just use your code as is.  We might get a 90% solution by various
> hacks, but I think this would just make the rules more confusing.

`Two keymaps' is not a 100% solution.  There are going to the problems
no matter which solution we pick.

> With your code, the rules are simle:  If you change a keymap with
> customize, all other changes are lost.  With such a simple rule, the
> rest of the world can comply.

That's obviously a simple rule, but it's also silly and bad; if that's
what the current code does, then it's not usable.

Your two variable solution has a similar problem, BTW -- if
e.g. `custom-global-map' overrides `global-map', and someone has bound a
key via custom, and tries to re-bind it using `M-x global-set-key' --
then his new binding will be effectively ignored!

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.