Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:46:36 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Kenichi Handa wrote:

>>  As Emacs-unicode unifies, for instance, character C1 of
>>  charset CS1 and character C2 of CS2.  So, so even if an
>>  original iso-2022-7bit file uses the different byte sequence
>>  to represent them, when emacs reads it and write, C2 will be
>>  encoded by the same byte sequence as C1.
>>
>>  It doesn't matter for Emacs because when Emacs reads that
>>  file again, there's no difference.

> As an example of a situation where it does matter, consider this: you
> visit a file, edit some parts of it, then save it.  It would be
> reasonable to expect that portions of the file you didn't change will
> compare equal to the original file.  In other words, running `diff' on
> the original and the edited files will not show any changes in those line
> you didn't modify.

But, `diff' is another program.  Emacs' ediff-files should
work well.

And, please note that even Emacs 21 don't preserve the same
byte sequence for iso-2022-7bit file in rare case.  This
problem can actually be ignored only because such a case is
very very rare.

Anyway, I'm not claiming that we don't have to solve this
problem.  Just I have more urgent tasks for the moment.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden