Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:49:05 -0400

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 07:14:11PM -0500, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> I agree with this too.  I believe that the vast majority of users are
> perfectly happy with the current situation.  They should not be
> inconvenienced.  However, a maybe non-negligible minority of users
> seems to perceive a need for more than one local abbrev table per
> buffer.

Perhaps that's true; it certainly makes things simpler!

> One solution would be to implement the possibility of more than one
> local abbrev table as a customization feature for sophisticated
> users.
[complicated description omitted]

I agree; to me this seems like a good enough way to solve the problem.

However, is all the mechanism you suggested necessary?
Can't users just create their own local abbrev table in the mode hook (which
define-derived-mode will make sure the command supports!)?

If it's simple to do that, then we really needn't do anything at all...

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.