Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 04:41:37 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:05:02PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Is there any chance you could work on this?
> Since you wrote the tty color stuff, this would probably
> be easier for you than for anyone else.

I have now added the following capabilities to the Hurd console:

# Enable (disable) italic mode.
        sitm=\E[3m, ritm=\E[23m,
# Enable (disable) real bold (not intensity bright) mode.  This is a
# GNU extension.
        gsbom=\EQ, grbom=\ER,

The sitm/ritm is ECMA-48 compatible.  The GNU extension was made up by me,
following the common pattern for set/reset mode (sXYm/rXYm), with a "g"
prefix to mark it as a GNU extension.  The escape sequences they are mapped to
(\EQ/\ER) are marked for private use by ECMA-48.

I will submit this to the ncurses people when I have finished the console (I
am still tweaking the hurd.ti when adding new features etc).

BTW, ECMA-48 also defines an escape sequence to select one of 10 fonts.
However, I am happy to have one usable unicode font, there is no
terminal capability name for that ECMA capability, and there are no standard
meanings for the font numbers, so it is probably not something worth
implementing.  However, we might keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/