Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:49:42 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

> I have the impression that any "dir" files installed by emacs-21.1.90
> or 21.2.90 got overridden by emacs-23.3.50.

That's probably true, as "make install" installs the DIR file which came
with the distribution, and the place it puts that file does not depend on
the Emacs version.

>    This is not a bug in info.el, but I wonder if it could merge these sections
>    rather than just putting them in side by side.
>
> That might be more difficult than might appear at first.
>
> What seems to complicate matters a lot is the fact that identical or
> nearly identical sections, as well as individual entries, may have
> different names.

Right.  In general, it's the job of install-info to remove redundant
sections, but it only does so for a single DIR file, the one whose file
name it gets from the command-line arguments.