Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: 25 Sep 2002 23:49:09 +0100

> Would you please explain why we can't get rid of those charsets even
> after we have unified them into Unicode?

Because people want to use them.  You were complaining about charset
information not being preserved, after all.

> I would like to understand this.

Handa had better speak to his design.  I've mostly just read the
implementation and thought it was sensible.

> That is very abstract.  I am trying to help solve concrete issues.
> What is the concrete point on which you are not sure what to do?

There are various issues, but going over and over them here isn't
useful.  I ask experts where it's that easy.  The useful thing would
be for people to do work on and with the implementation so solutions
can be tried out and I'm afraid I'm currently unenthusiastic.