Re: problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:19:58 -0400

    > Would you please be more specific?  I have no idea what that refers
    > to.  The start of this conversation was a week or more ago, and I
    > don't remember it.  What exactly is the RT that we can't D?

    What handa's complaining about -- just define the minor mode
    defaulting to on as far as I understand it.

That is very sketchy.  It is enough remind someone who already knows
the issue which issue is meant, but nowhere near enough to explain it
to a person who doesn't know.

Could someone explain to me what the issue is?

       unify-8859-on-encoding-mode's value is t

       Documentation:
       Non-nil if Unify-8859-On-Encoding mode is enabled.
       See the command `unify-8859-on-encoding-mode' for a description of this
minor-mode.
    |  Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
    |  use either M-x customize or the function `unify-8859-on-encoding-mode'.

       You can customize this variable.

       Defined in `ucs-tables'.

    No!

I guess something is wrong in that doc string.
What part of it is wrong?  What is the actual situation?

    > Could you explain more concretely what it is that you're thinking of
    > as a change in Emacs's state?

    Specifically minor modes being turned on, hooks being installed &c by

That also is so sketchy I can't really tell what scenario it
refers to.  Could someone please spell out the actual scenario?