Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: address@hidden: rcs2log]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:21:57 -0000

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
To: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; "Dr Francis J. Wright" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 7:30 AM

<address@hidden> wrote:

> > You could write a small script fragment that would walk PATH, look for a
> > version of `sort' that understood some specific option (e.g., --help),
> > and invoke that one explicitly, or barf if not found.
>
> That kind of thing strikes me as being fragile.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to have a configuration variable
> (`cvs-sort-program' or something) and have the user configure it if
> needed?

I agree that this would be a more elegant solution.  However, it's not
specific to CVS and in fact I use RCS, although it is specific to vc, so I
suggest the variable name should be vc-sort-program.  If such a new variable
is going to be introduced to support non-UNIX users then I suggest that the
vc code should also be edited to call sh explicitly to interpret the rcs2log
script (as I suggested before) and my .bat file ignored.

Francis