Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:40:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I didn't find this document

The correct file name is INSTALL-CVS.  Do you see that file?  If not,
please fetch it from the CVS.

I scanned the INSTALL document, and the README and INSTALL files in mac/

The INSTALL-CVS file was not mentioned in either of these.
Why does the main "make" not compile the lisp files?

It does, if you say "make bootstrap".  Plain "make" assumes the *.elc
files are already there.

I understood that.  I still do not understand why the normal "make" command in the "./compile; make; make install" cycle does not do this?

Well, so much for being a neophyte in the intricates of emacs development.  I would, however, like to second Kim's suggestion.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen      Scandiatransplant
                               Skejby Sygehus, indgang 3