Re: change in X character input processing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: change in X character input processing
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:31:58 -0500

> I've changed the handling of character input under X to consider the
> definitions of keysyms rather than trying to decode everything for
> some locale which may be inappropriate.  Thus, for instance, my euro
> key will work in a Latin-1 environment like the pound key (and doesn't
> depend on Latin-9 support in the X libraries).

BTW, in the code I see you do:

                          /* First deal with keysyms which have
                             defined translations to characters.  */
                          if (keysym >= 32 && keysym < 128)
                            /* Avoid explicitly decoding each ASCII
                               character.  */
                            {
                              bufp->kind = ASCII_KEYSTROKE_EVENT;
                              bufp->code = c;
                            }

Have you encountered cases where this can happen ?

I thought this branch of the code can never be taken if the keysym
is an ASCII char (except for special keysyms explicitly listed,
it's taken only if (keysym != NoSymbol && nbytes == 0) which means that
XLookupString failed to decode the keysym into a char which seems
impossible if the keysym is an ASCII char).

        Stefan