Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:24:02 +0100

Andreas Schwab wrote:

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <address@hidden> writes:

|> I understood that.  I still do not understand why the normal "make"
|> command in the "./compile; make; make install" cycle does not do this?

Because compiling from CVS is different than compiling from a distribution
tar file.
In what way?

Most, if not all, of those projects I have retrieved from CVS I have been able to use the "./configure; make; make install" incantation, so - recognizing that Emacs is a large and complex program with different needs to most other programs - I would still like to know what the reason for this is.

Is this question so ignorant that I should go hiding under a rock after reading some INSTALL-CVS-FAQ-READ-ME-FIRST file, I have missed (if I missed one file, I can miss even more), I will be happy to do so, but I would appreciate a gentle nudge mentioning the name of this file. The INSTALL-CVS file did not indicate the existance of such a file.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen      Scandia transplant
                              Skejby Sygehus, indgang 3