Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs in CVS as today does not build - emacs depends on *.elc, which cannot be built without emacs
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:24:47 -0500

> |> But I guess this begs the question: why does the bootstrap target
> |> do such a thorough `clean' at all ?
>
> You need to make sure there are no old elc containing out-of-date macro
> implementations around.  Otherwise you cannot guarantee consistency.

Does anybody care ?
As I said, I almost never bootstrap and I'm pretty sure I still have .elc
files compiled with very old versions of define-derived-mode or
define-minor-mode (the two macros that I know have changed), but it doesn't
create any problem.  I understand that you want such consistency when
building the tarball for distribution or when doing a daily "bootstrap
regression test", but in those cases you can always do
`make bootstrap-clean bootstrap'.

        Stefan