Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:02:01 +0100

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:05:29 +0200 (IST), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> IMHO, it doesn't make sense to feature-freeze the trunk unless we decide
> not to release from the branch anymore.  Since there was a decision to
> release 21.3 from the branch, the decision not to feature-freeze followed
> almost automatically.

OK, but then, as soon as 21.3 hits the streets, we *should* create a new
release branch, feature-freeze it and start pretesting it. If we want a
shinny new-features release sometime before 2004, I mean. And it's my
*strong* believe we should want it. Like it or not, users and developers
are more attracted if it seems there's movement. I'd bet people out
there things Emacs development is glacial.

> For 21.3, maybe.  But for 21.2, I disagree.  You effectively suggest to
> eliminate bugfix releases, which I think would be wrong: users will have
> no stable versions to rely upon.

I cannot talk on behalf of Steffan, but at least I, who started the
thread, *don't* suggest such a thing. I suggest schedules.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u