Re: info invisible changes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: info invisible changes
Date: 06 Nov 2002 00:57:50 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> It does look nicer (cleaner), but there are some problems:

Thanks for reporting those problems; I have tried to fix some of them
as described below.

> When I do `Memacs' from the top-level dir (with point at the beginning
> of the buffer), I get the following error:

I cannot reproduce this with the lastest CVS.  I think Stefan fixed it.

> There are some other, more minor problems with this:
>
>   (1) The dir file (and presumably other info menus) I have was
>       formatted assuming that no text would be hidden, so in some cases,
>       the invisible text results in a very wierd looking display.

> * CVS client/server     Describes the
>                                                    client/server protocol
>                                                    used by CVS.

I have added code to properly align (+2 spaces) the following description
lines.  Please try it out.

>   (2) Cursor movement is `wierd' around the invisible text region.  For
>       instance, taking one of the menu lines from above:

Indeed.  However, I'm definitely not going to hack on the display
engine to improve this [minor] issue.

BTW, try turning on M-x line-number-mode and M-x column-number-mode
and what what happens as you move through invisible text with embedded
newlines :-(

>   (3) In the gcc-2.95 info doc, there's a node (`(gcc-295)G++ and GCC')
>       that contains the following text:
>
> and C++: (gdb.info)C.).
> and C++.info)C.).

I've fixed that.

>   (4) The wrapping problem happens with *note tags too; often it's fairly
>       benign (a line that's unusually short because of invisible'd text),

Yes, but as you'd see by turning on column-number-mode, there is no
easy way to decide what column a given character is displayed at [of
if there is, please enlighten me].  So it is really difficult to try
to improve this "locally".

As Stefan suggested we could refill the text, but then we start
modifying the text in the info buffer - and I'm not sure what the
implications of doing that are.

Also, how do we know what part of the text is safe to refill.

So for the moment, I don't see how we can easily get rid of those
short lines.

>       but sometimes it gets a bit uglier; e.g. the original:

>      target's thread library if you want thread support.  *Note
>      Cross-Compilers and Header Files: Cross Headers, for discussion
>      target's thread library if you want thread support.  See Cross-Compilers
> and Header Files, for discussion

I've fixed that (inserting a newline if the hidden text contains one),
but unfortunately this means that you'll see more short lines in some
places.

>   (5) Cursor movement around the `See' is wierd, but I guess that's
>       something you can do much about.

No, I don't think so...

>   (6) Ah, I just saw another misformatted menu entry; the original:
>
> * gcc-3.2: (gcc-3.2).                              The GNU Compiler
> * gcc-3.2             2).                                  The GNU Compiler

I've fixed that too.

> Anyway, I basically like it, it's noticably easier to read than the old
> style.

Thanks!  I think so too, but not everyone was pleased with the
change, so I had to make it customizable...