Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:50:15 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> As somebody else
> explained, for menu entries tooltips are not that important, because
> menu texts are better to understand than tool bar icons.

Where the menu item's text is self-explanatory, there usually is no
tooltip that pops up.  In other words, tooltips for menu items should be
defined only where they are really needed.

> I know you can often call a context menu in Emacs, but it's impossible
> to jump from a menu entry directly to the manual where this menu entry
> will be explained.

You should be able to do a "C-h k", then click the menu item and get its
explanation.  Another C-h function jumps to the manual for a description
of any key, but the problem in using this with menu items is that menu
items are generally not described at all in the manual.  So this is a
documentation problem rather than a functionality problem; if someone
writes an appendix for the manual with the description of all the menu
items, it would be instantly available for the purpose you want it.