Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:09:58 -0500

    This isn't always the case.  Maybe the help texts should be
    reviewed and expanded/removed as a result?  For example,
    in Options we have:
      "Save Place in Files between Sessions"

    The tooltip for that is "Save Emacs state for next session".
    I think that the menu entry is much clearer hear, the tip is confusing.

I am surprised you think so.  I think they are both clear
and that they complement each other.

The same for the other items in that menu--they are useful.  This menu
shows why menu item tooltips need to work.

    The tips appear in the wrong places (i.e. under the pointer)
    sometimes.  I don't have a Lucid version available, but in the Motif and
    Gtk version you can click and release on a menubar item to make the menu
    appear.  Then you can navigate the menus with arrow keys.  The
    tip displayed is for the menu item marked with the arrow keys, but
    the tip appears where the pointer is.  The pointer can be on the other side
    of the screen, so this looks funny.

That is indeed a bug; it would be good to fix it.