Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:11:33 +0100

    The menu item has "between Sessions", implying this applies
        for all sessions to come.  The tip says "next Session", implying
        it is only for the next session.

Both expressions fit what it actually does.

Yes, they do.  But this is the problem when experts describe things
for beginners, I know, I've been there a lot :-)

For someone used to Emacs, this is totally OK.  But it really doesn't
describe the difference a users sees with and without this option.

The menu item has "Save Place in Files", the tip says "Save Emacs state".
        Neither is 100% correct, there is more that places saved, but
        less than the full Emacs state.  If this is for a beginner, I
        imagine (but could be wrong) that "Save Places" is easier to
        understand than "Save state", as stats can mean many things.

I think they are both useful.  If you have specific
suggestions to improve one or the other, please offer them.

    I think I would have written "Reopen files when Emacs is started".

Perhaps "Revisit files of previous session when restarting Emacs."
What do you think?

This is good.  But "previous session" already implies a restart, so
it could be shorter:
 "Visit files of previous session when starting Emacs"

Also, visit is somewhat Emacs specific, most other programs say open.
Emacs menus doesn't have visit in them either.  But if one should
follow other programs convention or use Emacs terms is another
discussion.

I guess this only shows that designing menu texts is hard and also a
matter of taste. :-)

        Jan D.