Re: XPM via Lisp in the toolbar

From: alkibiades
Subject: Re: XPM via Lisp in the toolbar
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:44:59 +0100

>     Or do you mean to do caching without storing the image data on the
>     disk? So that only in a single instance of Emacs no image file is
>     converted twice? I think this would only be useful in very few cases;
>
> Yes.
>
>     for example if the user from my example above decided to review the
>     directory a second time. I doubt that this is worth the trouble.
>
> Many icons will be used over and over within one Emacs session.
> I think caching within a session is important.

As long as the image is not _explicitly_ re-read from disk as in my
example and as long as the image descriptor is not garbage collected,
this should already be the case. Not even clearing the image cache (I
mean the built-in image cache) would cause a second conversion,
because the image descriptor contains all image data as a value of the
:data attribute.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               26 Brumaire an 211 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!