Re: Suggestion: split grep functionality out of compile.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Suggestion: split grep functionality out of compile.el
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:46:39 -0500

    I have been looking at the grep functionality and it is natural for it
    to utilize the compile.el functionality, but I don't see why it has to
    be so closely nit into the compilation facility that it shares the
    same file and customization group `compilation'.

    I would suggest splitting out the grep functionality into a new file
    grep.el, and make a new customization group for it `grep'.

How many lines would this file be?  As for the separate customization
group, that woud make sense, but many of the compile variables also
affect grep; is there a way to make it clear to the user who tries to
customize grep that he should also look at the `compilation' group?