Re: Suggestion: split grep functionality out of compile.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Suggestion: split grep functionality out of compile.el
Date: 02 Dec 2002 23:28:03 +0100

>     I have been looking at the grep functionality and it is natural for it
>     to utilize the compile.el functionality, but I don't see why it has to
>     be so closely nit into the compilation facility that it shares the
>     same file and customization group `compilation'.
>
>     I would suggest splitting out the grep functionality into a new file
>     grep.el, and make a new customization group for it `grep'.
>
> How many lines would this file be?

grep.el will be 500 - 600 lines.

After the split, compile.el will be ~2000 lines.

>  As for the separate customization
> group, that woud make sense, but many of the compile variables also
> affect grep; is there a way to make it clear to the user who tries to
> customize grep that he should also look at the `compilation' group?

I'd suggest to make grep-specific instances of the most relevant of
these variables, as the desired behaviour may easily differ between
"real" compilations and grep.  E.g. I prefer compilation output
buffers to scroll, but I prefer that grep output doesn't.