Re: TODO additions

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: 09 Dec 2002 19:03:38 +0000

>     > I am completely confused now.  Are you talking about Emacs changes
>     > made by Debian, or something else?
>
>     I'm talking about the version of movemail from XEmacs.  I just happen
>     to be using the Debian-distributed binary.  I don't know if Debian
>     made any changes to the XEmacs version like to the Emacs one.
>
> I am not sure how movemail from XEmacs relates to the issue
> of mail locking in Debian.  What is its relevance?

It can DTRT both for mail delivered by Debian and by other systems
(Irix in my case).

> I will ask rlb if he can recommend changes to make movemail do the
> right kind of mail locking on Debian GNU/Linux.

As I tried to explain, that is a necessary change to the current build
if mail is delivered by a Debian system, but not a sufficient change
to movemail if mail is delivered to the spool by a non-Debian system.

It's not clear to me whether a non-Debian client can actually lock the
spool properly when Debian is doing the delivery, since it system
seems to depend on a Debian-specific library.

(This exchange seems to be going round in circles.)