Re: Font lock bug in sh-script.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Font lock bug in sh-script.el
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:53:50 +0100

Hi Richard,

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:
> This shell script

>  svrmgrl <<        EOF
>      CONNECT INTERNAL
>      STARTUP
>      EXIT
>         EOF
>
>  while
>  # foo

> seems to confuse sh-script.el's font lock support.
> All the text following the first line is treated as a here-document.

That is correct!  Only in the first column does EOF have it's special meaning.

> Note that all the spaces in this test case are ordinary spaces.
> (Someone else reported a bug involving non-breaking spaces.)

Yes, he sent it to me first, and I asked him to send it to the bug list, since
I no longer use shell (Perl instead :-).

Anyways, those non-breaking spaces are pretty whacky.  While they work in both
bash and pdksh, neither documents what that EOF may look like.  The bash manual
calls it a word, so accepting nbsp`s here is almost a bash bug.

As long as there is no specification, all you could do is trial and error, to
find the common subset of characters accepted by all shells, or differentiate
for each one.  In the latter case I guess you'd be fighting with differences
between various commercial ksh`s...

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --