Re: Gtk patch version 3, part 1

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Gtk patch version 3, part 1
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:55:12 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   - include the necessary documentation in the emacs distribution [meaning
     that we may have to (re)write that documentation ourselves], or

I do not understand.  Why would it need to be rewritten?  Is GTK and
its documentation free software?  If we want it in the superior
Texinfo format, of course, but what if we are (reluctantly) willing to
use the html files as they are?  That is all the URL would provide
anyway.  The document does not seem to be that huge.  I took a look at
it.  Over a slow internet connection.  Plenty of "10k read stalled".
Forever.  Interrupt transfer. Try again...  More of the same.  No fun.
Note also that with an URL, you first have to remember to connect to
the internet before you can double-click with mouse 2.  Depending on
the situation, getting connected can take a non-trivial amount of
time.

I actually have the documents in /usr/share/doc.  If I did not and
needed them, I guess that in the worst case I could use wget to get
things on my own machine.  Do the GTK people not provide more
convenient ways than using wget?  I could not find any on the site.

Anyway, why not just include it in the Emacs distribution?
Alternative solutions might be searching for the documentation in the
user's file system or having the location provided by the user in some
Emacs variable.

Any of this as an intermediate solution until somebody finds the time
to write a suitable Texinfo documentation.

Sincerely,

Luc.