Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: MacOSX installation suggestions.
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:07:37 +0100

The point is taken. I will point out that if installing into /usr (or possibly some other directory), one might need to use sudo. I'll also document the suggestion about not using /usr.

Thanks.

I do think make install should install Emacs.app also.  Now one has to
manually copy it after make install.  It doesn't seem right that make
install doesn't install everything.

Makes sense. I just put in some changes to get the Application to build in a separate directory, so having it install into /Application would be nice (and pretty much done); it would make the make-package script a little easier.

I would like to suggest a separate configure option, that defaults to
/Application (--appdir?).  If doing a build and install as a regular
user, one probably don't wan't it in /Application.

What do people think about placing this mac-specfic stuff in a new Makefile in the mac/ directory v placing it in the src/ directory? I was just going to place it in the src directory because it's not large enough to justify all the configuration changes needed (unless there are volunteers).

Would a make in src call the Makefile in the mac directory?

        Jan D.