Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:00:38 -0500

    By the way, I think the culprit of the current problem is
    this Emacs' doctrine:
        Do unibyte<->mutibyte conversion by "MAKE" by default.

    Although this doctrine surely works for handling unibyte and
    multibyte represenation transparently, it makes Elisp
    programmers very very confused.

It is absolutely crucial to make unibyte and multibyte operation
interoperate smoothly for Latin character sets.  We did this
so that people who used Emacs for European character sets
would not have trouble.

It is more important to make things easy for non-programmers
than to make it easy for programmers.  So don't change this.